ARTIS REAL ESTATE INVESTMENT TRUST ANNOUNCES THE PUBLICATION OF ITS 2021 ESG REPORT
WINNIPEG, MB, June 1, 2022 /CNW/ – Artis Real Estate Investment Trust (“Artis” or the “REIT”) (TSX: AX.UN) today announced the release of its annual Environmental, Social and Governance (“ESG”) report. ), which provides an update on the REIT’s ESG practices, policies and objectives and highlights the progress made in 2021.
“A little over a year has passed since my appointment as CEO and the announcement of Artis’ new vision and strategy: to build an asset management and premier investment focused on growing net asset value per unit and investor distributions through value investing in real estate,” said Samir Manji, President and CEO of Artis. “As part of this strategy, Artis is committed to making ESG central and establishing an ESG-focused culture across the company. We welcome this opportunity to highlight the progress we have made in all areas of our ESG program and the goals we have set for the future.”
Some highlights from Artis’ 2021 ESG Report include:
- approval of a new executive compensation framework that sets out objectively measurable performance criteria for awarding short- and long-term compensation;
- improvement of the clawback policy and share ownership policy for senior management and adoption of a post-employment share ownership guideline for the CEO;
- Diversification on the Board of Directors, including 57% female representation and 29% Black, Indigenous and Colored representation;
- diversification across the organization, including 67% female representation in leadership positions and 52% female representation company-wide;
- the adoption of an improved board mandate, committee charters, position descriptions and various governance policies;
- the implementation of an enhanced Code of Business Conduct and Ethics, whistleblower protection policy and insider trading and bans policy;
- certification obtained or maintained by Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (“LEED”) for 10 properties, by Building Owners and Managers Association (“BOMA”) Building Environmental Standards (“BEST”) for 5 properties and by Energy Star for 19 properties;
- implementation of new analysis, reporting and portfolio consumption reduction software; and
- recognition as one of from Canada Top Small and Medium Employers and from Manitoba Top employers for 2021.
Lis Wigmore, Chair of Artis’ Board Governance, Nominating and Compensation Committee, added, “This has been an exciting year of opportunity and growth for Artis’ ESG program. Working alongside our Governance, Nominating & Compensation Committee and ESG Committee members have been a privilege. We all share a similar passion for ESG and are driven to see Artis employees, tenants, owners and communities thrive. We will continue to find creative ways to fulfill our corporate social responsibility and become an industry leader in all areas of our ESG program.”
A copy of Artis’ 2021 ESG Report can be accessed on the REIT’s website at the following link:
Artis is a diversified Canadian real estate investment trust that owns a portfolio of industrial, office and retail properties in Canada and United States. Artis’ vision is to build a premier asset management and investment platform focused on growing net asset value per unit and distributions for investors through value investing in real estate.
SOURCE Artis Real Estate Investment Trust
For further information: Please contact Mr. Samir Manji, President and Chief Executive Officer, Ms. Jaclyn Koenig, Chief Financial Officer or Ms. Heather Nikkel, Vice President – Investor Relations and Sustainability of the REIT at 1.204.947.1250.